Thursday, August 18, 2011

Spelling/Vocabulary/Word Study

So I mentioned in my last post that I wasn't sure if I was sold on Megawords for our Spelling/Vocabulary/Word Study curriculum.  The problem I'm having is that it doesn't correlate in any way to what Scout is reading. So, although she doesn't really struggle with reading, she isn't necessarily improving either. I just doesn't make sense to continue on with a workbook that doesn't teach her what she needs in order to read and comprehend her (increasing in difficulty) books. I just really don't understand what these publishers are thinking by not combining these closely related subjects. And I don't mean combine by selling a Language Arts "package" that has 3 or 4 separate books to cover everything. What we need is an all inclusive guide/book/curriculum that covers reading comprehension, spelling, vocabulary, writing, and grammar. So I am on the hunt for the PERFECT ALL INCLUSIVE LANGUAGE ARTS CURRICULUM. Let me know if there is something I should be looking at.